Thursday, June 9, 2011

As some of you may know, when I'm not writing, I'm milking cows or doing some other non-tractor work on the farm (such as cleaning those adorable little calves that love to poop so much). I enjoy milking. I really do. I love animals in general and I've always loved the bovine species the most. They're such funny animals. You may not know it when you drive by a field of them stuffing their faces with the greenest grass they can find, but they're very curious about everything.

Sometimes, this isn't always good. For example, they'll eat just about anything they can get their fat tongues around. We have several who try without fail (not that they don't fail, because they almost always do, but they try every time) to grab the paper towels from the bucket as they walk by. On occasion, they'll succeed, and hundreds of brown pieces of paper will be scattered across the floor. Well, the ones they don't eat, anyway.

We also have a wonderfully friendly cow who can pick up the canes with her tongue. This same cow will attempt to rip your shirt off your body if given half a chance. She loves clothing for some unfathomable reason. But she's learned that she does not like Fiber One bars. Or more specifically, their wrappers. I was shoveling out the garbage one day when up she wanders, looking for trouble as usual. She sniffs at the paper towels, noses around a bit, and comes out with the empty wrapper. I tried to grab it from her mouth, but she just looked at me and inhaled it like spaghetti. I sat there watching her munch away like she was simply chewing on hay, then she wandered off again. Less than 5 minutes later, I look over and she's standing there, looking less than happy. Half of the wrapper was in shreds on the ground. Needless to say, she's never eaten a wrapper since (though my shirt is still fair game).

No comments:

Post a Comment